Saturday, June 21, 2008

Aeschylus and Charybdis

The fade on the flesh by time makes hard the collection of truth. This is what I remember. A rainy day with occasional bursts of customers. LCDTV was learning the joys of the QBP catalog. Warrior kept his hands in motion and most of us helped the rental clients and sold a couple of bikes. One customer wanted a particular bike for his girlfriend's birthday and had waited until it was mostly too late to do his shopping. This bike didn't really exist but it could with moderate customization. I built the wheel and install the luggage rack and otherwise modified the frame to suit the upgrade from a single-speed to a four-speed. A rather lengthy stretch of time without customers had proceeded this sale and I took time to assemble the trailer I had ordered six weeks ago. Never mind that I come to work and begin each day at least an hour before opening and spend extra time on days off and spend personal monies on work related items regularly. The boss came down and expressed displeasure with the lack of shop related activities. Excuse all the advice and remember the absence.
The end of the day came with a parade of bikes after tarps were removed and folded nicely. One problem, after looking for the red dog for a minute or so and feeling slightly panicked, I discovered he was trapped up front with all the bikes block his exit and mine. A simple solution: open the front door and let him out that way. No such luck. The key became jammed in the ancient lock and the normal amount of jiggling didn't produce any result. Frustration sets in as I am hot in more than one way and the jiggling bursts the upper door frame. The boss says, "I'll get him", referring to the red dog. I don't really hear that or much else. The dog is my Achilles and I don't react well to seeing him hoisted in an uncomfortable manner through the mass of pointed metal by someone I really respect. The door frame will have to wait as there is no energy or motivation left in me to fix it tonight. Without a word, save a broken bottle, I left choosing to not say the not nice things on my tongue.
We all have things we hold dear, I hurt no thing with breath physically. Feelings fade and hast aside, the door frame exposed its weakness at the wrong time. I don't really know what the boss was feeling as I left to spare myself the embarrassment my unfriendly words would have brought. Injury (perceived) was added to insult (unintended). The door frame will get repaired in the morning. It needed to be realigned anyway. Being stuck watching a friend forcefully extract your beloved companion provides undefinable emotion. I don't know how that sequence of events lined up and I wish it to not happen again. There is a lesson.

No comments: