Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Clan of the Cave Shop.

A short piece on an employee who has become as permanent as he would like. Warrior is consistent and constant, a well paced worker with a penchant for the lady folk. He has a bit of a persecution complex but that's a minor detail. It's refreshing to have someone with an left twisted sense of humor occupy that space next to you and a small perch on your ear. I can't guess the next question from their lips, but I'll bet it's an eyebrow raiser. I can't find his politics or allegiances, but no matter, he's ready for most anything and if I picked a co-pilot for a game of bike shop, it would be him.
I like everyone I work with because they all bring something usual and unusual to the show. The Wizard snaps wild eyed humor between bouts of optimistic frustration. The boss or Emperor has unequaled patience and business sense and a demeanor which makes you happy to accept any challenge. Zoltan is chock full of information and zeal as well as being a keen observer and steady worker. The bird moves quickly and in his haste manages to surpass his education level regularly. He's quite educated and gains practical knowledge quickly. LCDTV constantly surprises me with the amount of customer abuse he can take before biting back. We will work on his mechanic's skills in the next few months. Hardy is a tough cookie, as in difficult to find the right approach. I think I can communicate what I'm looking for and encrypt it as to not upset his apple cart. I truly respect his accomplishments and appreciate his contribution to the group. He is going to be mixing in some regular work with the assemblies he is currently doing. It's nice to have a separate area to call your own, but that's a temporary luxury in this shop. Lastly is the Phantom, a menace to clutter and disorganization. From inventory to certain janitorial functions, nothing is below him, though he'd rather do what he was hired to do, not that I really forgot was that was, but it's not important now.
I don't know how we end up with such great people, but then again I don't really ask that question, I answer it. The past two and a half years have been rough. I need to find a balance point and create some division of labor. I hope everyone will gravitate to what suits their abilities and interests as well as taking on some responsibilities they might otherwise ignore. For a few months, our staff will be tight with some of the guys riding on the wings of desire. The fall looks to be a time of growth. Those without humor need not apply. Where the hell is the damn gypsy?

No comments: