Thursday, June 19, 2008

There is no whip.

I am self motivating. I have a deep curiosity about the nature of things. Sometimes my hands hurt. These points are a general guide to my work ethic. I often say no first, and then do it anyway. I don't like feeling as if I'm being taken advantage of, but I like seeing the surprise of someone when they find something they wanted done - done. I don't know exactly what motivates others to perform, probably money or a sense of satisfaction. We all need money to pay for life. I want to do stuff I like to do, interesting stuff. Money is a bonus and it's taken me a long time to realize my worth in this department. I like finding ways to convince others that they want to do something or challenge themselves and their comfort level.
It is a challenge to me to both earn my keep as an employee and provide support for the staff. The Wizard shot an arrow at me today and I get the feeling he doesn't approve of some of my style of mechanics. He seeks an absolute solution and sees little room for shades of gray. I have very high standards of mechanics and aesthetics when I work an a bicycle. I don't like inelegant solutions, but I'm willing to arrive at a conclusion that my not be the best, but the better. Some work requires lowering standards to come to a cost effective completion. The gold dipped turd still stinks so save some money and don't shine shit. I've read repair tags that stated how many hours he spent on a bike and thought, "Was that necessary?".
We can all work smarter. As a simple start, we must strive to communicate with the clients and each other to make the most truthful, efficient path to the end goal. We can minimize mistakes and waste by not getting in over our heads and using the tremendous talent of the combined group to our advantage. There is no reason to be a soothsayer because being forthright and obvious will bring a better end. If someone doesn't like our honest suggestion, it is better we not serve them. It always comes back to bite us on the ass. On the other side, there is a natural progression we can follow to help the client arrive at a conclusion as we do. Being condescending doesn't work as well and being authoritative. Present the facts and don't be afraid to say, "I don't know".
I am not disappointed with the staff, quite the contrary. I am only disappointed that we are too busy to spend much time learning new things. It's not hard to learn to fix a bike, but it is hard to learn to fix all bicycles. The great thing about our demographic is the wide diversity of vehicles they provide to learn about. Our charge is actually service these bikes expertly. "To ask together" is at the heart of the word competition. By learning constancy, we have no competition.

No comments: