Monday, June 16, 2008

Crushing the Intertron

The staff is in love with the internet. Pandora. Youtube. Gmail. Vimeo. (ad nauseum) Great, but not great. Pandora pigeonholes the music to usually non-retail jams, i.e. death metal, ganga-rap, and other guitar gymnastic noise. Youtube is worse as it occupies the eyes and silences the hands. The hands of work. I'm all about finding moments to screw-off now and again, but customers suffer and our reputation will not be far behind. It is as easy to lose a customer as it is hard to win one.
So the limits have been set for now to only allow certain MAC addresses to access the internet. I could have just stated it plainly, oh that's right I have, but I took it unto my self to make the change today. The bird (no names) kept wondering why the laptop suddenly failed to recognize the network and it took nearly 35 min to restart the box to no avail. I angled that they might consider the pile of work waiting for action. Sneaky bastard management style won't last, but it's all I have when the boss is away and I need to not be there. I wish I could get my area cleaner so I could better enforce cleanliness in other areas of the shop. Well, a clean cyberspace is a good start.

1 comment:

will said...

Add 00:19:e3:da:82:9b

And a source of webternet time-suck, I will make sure to not huddle the masses for another video of wrongness.